Alaska Annual Rainfall and Climate Data - see below for individual cities
Alaska climate data
Avg Annual Precip
Avg Snow Annual
|Avg. days of Precip||Avg # thunderstorm days||Avg # hail days||Avg Annual Wind / Highest Record Wind|
|Anchorage||16.08||71.2||117||0||0||7.1 / 64 mph|
|Barrow||4.16||30.3||78||0||0||12 / 74 mph|
|Bethel||16.18||55.1||141||0||0||12.6 / 60 mph|
|Fairbanks||10.34||67.0||107||0||0||5.4 / 40 mph|
|Homer||25.45||57.8||146||0||0||7.6 / 69 mph|
|Juneau||58.33||96.9||221||0||0||8.2 / 58 mph|
|Kodiak||75.35||77.9||192||0||0||11 / 75 mph|
|Nome||16.56||63.7||130||0||0||10.4 / 55 mph|
|Valdez||67.41||322.9||200||0||0||6.1 / 69 mph|
Annual Precipitation Average - 22.70", 39th wettest in the U.S.
Alaska Tornado Average - less than 1 per year, lowest average in the U.S.
Largest reported Tornado in Alaska from 1950-2011, 11/4/1959 - 10 yards wide
Month with highest number of reported Tornadoes in Alaska from 1950-2011 - June, 2 tornadoes
Average time of occurrence of reported Tornadoes in Alaska from 1950-2011 - 4:20 pm
Alaska Precipitation Records
- Driest location ranked by lowest average annual precipitation: Kuparuk, northern Alaska, 3.61"
- Wettest location ranked by highest average annual precipitation: Little Port Walter, southeastern
- Snowiest location ranked by highest average annual snowfall: Thompson Pass, southeastern Alaska, 551.5"
- State precipitation record for 24 hours - Angoon, southeastern Alaska, 10/12/1982, 15.20"
- State precipitation record for 1 year - MacLeod Harbor, southern Alaska, 1976, 332.29"
- State snowfall record for 24 hours - Thompson Pass, southeastern Alaska, 12/9/1955, 62.0"
- State snow record for 1 season - Thompson Pass, southeastern Alaska, 1952-1953, 974.4"
- In the coastal mountain locations of Alaska, it is estimated that over 1000" (83 feet) of snow falls each season.
- The "Great Fairbanks Flood" occurred from August 8 - 20th, 1967. More than 10 inches of rain fell over
the two-week period - average for the entire month is only 3 inches. Damages were estimated at $100 million.
records and averages
Precipitation data for other U.S. states
Data sources: National Climatic Data Center, Severe thunderstorm / tornado watch data period is 1999 - 2008, NOAA Storm Prediction Center, Tornado climate data -
NOAA Storm Prediction Center, State lightning flash density average - 1997-2011, Vaisala