Arkansas Annual Rainfall and Climate Data, see below for individual cities
Arkansas city precipitation totals
Avg Annual Precip
Avg Annual Snow
|Avg. # days of Precip||Avg # thunderstorm days||Avg # hail days||Avg # severe thunderstorm watches per year||Avg # tornado watches per year||# of tornadoes reported in county, 1960-2010|
Precipitation Average - 50.78", 17th wettest in the U.S.
Arkansas Tornado Average - 19.4 per year, 16th most in the U.S.
Largest reported Tornado in Arkansas from 1950-2011, 4/25/2011 - 2,900 yards / 1.64 miles wide
Date with highest number of reported Tornadoes in Arkansas from 1950-2011, January 21st - 52 tornadoes
Average time of occurrence of reported Tornadoes in Arkansas from 1950-2011 - 3:45 pm
Arkansas Annual Lightning Density - 15.2 flashes per square mile - 5th highest in U.S.
Record Driest year in Arkansas from 1895-2012 - 1963, avg precipitation 32.35 inches
Record Wettest year in Arkansas from 1895-2012 - 1975, avg precipitation 72.70 inches
Arkansas Precipitation Data
- Driest location ranked by lowest annual average precipitation: Omaha, northern Arkansas, 40.40"
- Wettest location ranked by highest annual average precipitation: Big Fork, western Arkansas, 62.65"
- Snowiest location ranked by highest annual average snowfall: Gravette northwestern Arkansas, 16.2"
- State precipitation record for 24 hours - Big Fork, western Arkansas, 12/3/1982, 14.05"
- State precipitation record for 1 year - New Hope, southwestern Arkansas, 1957, 98.55"
- State snowfall record for 24 hours - Fort Smith, western Arkansas, 1/22/1918, 25.0"
- State snow record for 1 season - Hardy, northeastern Arkansas, 1917-1918, 61.0"
- During 2009, Little Rock experienced its wettest year ever by receiving 81.79" of precipitation. Normal
annual rainfall is 50.93"
- Arkansas encountered only five tornadoes during the summer of 2005, but on the afternoon November, 27, 2005
severe storms produced twenty-four tornadoes in northern and central Arkansas. There were two F3 tornadoes
(158-206 mph winds)
- During the afternoon and evening of January 21, 1999, the state of Arkansas experienced its largest tornado outbreak
Over 30 tornadoes were reported across the state, the strongest tornadoes rated at F3 on the Fujita Scale. Baseball to
grapefruit-sized hail was also reported at several locations.
Data sources: National
Climatic Data Center, Severe thunderstorm / tornado watch
data period is 1999 - 2008, NOAA
Storm Prediction Center, Tornado climate data -
NOAA Storm Prediction Center, State lightning flash density average - 1997-2011, Vaisala