Iowa Annual Rainfall and Climate Data, see below for individual cities
Iowa city precipitation totals
Avg Annual Precip
Avg Annual Snow
|Avg # days of Precip||
Avg # snow days
Avg # thunderstorm days
Avg # hail days
Avg # severe thunderstorm watches per year
Avg # tornado watches per year
|# of tornadoes reported in county, 1960-2010|
Iowa Precipitation Records
- Driest location ranked by lowest annual average precipitation: Akron, northwest Iowa, 25.81"
- Wettest location ranked by highest annual average precipitation: Lamoni, southern Iowa, 39.37"
- Snowiest location ranked by highest annual average snowfall: Dubuque, eastern Iowa, 43.8"
- State precipitation maximum for 24 hours - Decatur county, southern Iowa, 8/5-6/1959, 16.70"
- State precipitation maximum for 1 year - Muskatine, southeast Iowa, 1851, 74.50"
- State snow maximum for 24 hours - Sibley, northwest Iowa, 2/18/1962, 21.0"
- State snow maximum for 1 season - Northwood, northern Iowa, 1908-1909, 90.4"
- On May 28, 1942, the latest snowstorm of record for the state of Iowa left 10 inches at LeMars,
8 inches at Cherokee, and 7.5 inches at Waukon. Afternoon highs were in the lower 30s in parts of
- On July 14, 1987, severe thunderstorms in Iowa produced eight inches of golf ball size hail near
Grafton, Iowa, completely stripping corn stalks in the area.
- Iowa temperature averages and extremes, precipitation and temperature data for all U.S. states
and Top 10 U.S. climate extremes
Data sources: National Climatic Data Center, severe thunderstorm / tornado watch data period is 1999 - 2008, NOAA Storm Prediction Center
Tornado climate data - NOAA Storm Prediction Center, State lightning flash density average - 1997-2011, Vaisala