Rainfall and Climate Data, see below for individual
Avg Annual Precip
Avg Annual Snowl
|Avg # days of Precip
Avg # thunderstorm days
Avg # hail days
Avg # severe thunderstorm watches per year
Avg # tornado watches per year
# of tornadoes reported in county, 1960-2010
Annual Precipitation Average - 42.28 inches, 23rd wettest state in the
Tornado Average - 1.8 per year - 39th most in the
- Largest reported Tornado in Maine from 1950-2011, 8/21/2009 - 700 yards / .39 miles wide
- Average time of occurrence of reported Tornadoes in Maine from 1950-2011 - 3:37 pm
- Maine Annual Lightning Density - 1.5 flashes per square mile - 43rd highest in U.S.
- Record Driest year in Maine from 1895-2012 - 2001, avg precipitation 29.61 inches
- Record Wettest year in Maine from 1895-2012 - 2005, avg precipitation 61.12 inches
- Driest location ranked by lowest annual precipitation:
Presque Isle, northeastern Maine, 35.27"
- Wettest location ranked by highest annual precipitation:
Acadia National Park, southern Maine, 57.30"
- Snowiest location ranked by highest annual average snowfall:
Rangeley, western Maine, 118.0"
- State precipitation maximum for 24 hours - Saco,
southwestern Maine, 10/21-22/1996, 19.19"
- State precipitation maximum for 1 year - Brunswick,
southwestern Maine, 1945, 75.64"
- State snow maximum for 24 hours - Orono,
central Maine, 12/29-30/1962, 40.0"
- State snow maximum for 1 season - Long
Falls Dam, western Maine, 1968-1969, 238.5"
has the lowest average number of days per year with thunderstorms east
of the Rocky Mountains
- Average monthly precipitation in Maine is between
three and four inches, with November being the wettest month
and February the driest month
averages and extremes, precipitation and temperature data for all U.S. states
and interesting Top 10
U.S. climate extremes
Data sources: National
Climatic Data Center, Severe thunderstorm / tornado watch
data period is 1999 - 2008, NOAA
Storm Prediction Center, Tornado climate data - NOAA
Storm Prediction Center, State lightning flash density average - 1997-2011, Vaisala