Minnesota Annual Rainfall and Climate Data, see below for individual cities
Minnesota city precipitation totals
|City||Avg Annual Precip||Avg Snow Annual||Avg. days of Precip||Avg # thunderstorm days||Avg # hail days||Avg # severe thunderstorm watches per year||Avg # tornado watches per year||# of tornadoes reported in county, 1960-2010|
Minnesota Precipitation Records
- Driest location ranked by least annual average precipitation: Karlstad, northwestern Minnesota, 18.56"
- Wettest location ranked by highest annual average precipitation: Caledonia, southeastern Minnesota, 34.99"
- Snowiest location ranked by highest annual average snowfall: Duluth, northern Minnesota, 83.3"
- State precipitation record for 24 hours - Hokah, southeastern Minnesota, 8/18-19/2007, 15.10"
- State precipitation record for 1 year - St, Francis, east-central Minnesota, 1991, 52.52"
- State snowfall record for 24 hours - Wolf Ridge, northeast Minnesota, 1/6-7/1994, 36.0"
- State snow record for 1 season - Pigeon River Bridge, northern Minnesota, 1936-1937, 147.5"
- On January 21, 1982, the second of two major snowstorms to hit southern Minnesota came to an end. Minneapolis received 20 inches of snow in 24 hours to break the previous record of 17 inches in 24 hours established just a few days earlier. A record 38 inches of snow covered the ground following the two storms, with drifts ten feet high.
Data sources: National Climatic Data Center, severe thunderstorm / tornado watch data period is 1999 - 2008, NOAA Storm Prediction Center, Tornado climate data - NOAA Storm Prediction Center, State lightning flash density average - 1997-2011, Vaisala