Rhode Island Annual Rainfall and Climate Data, see below for individual cities
Rhode Island city precipitation totals
Avg Annual Precip
Avg Annual Snow
|Avg. days of Precip||
Avg # thunderstorm days
|Avg # hail days||Avg # severe thunderstorm watches per year||Avg # tornado watches per year||# of tornadoes reported in county, 1960-2010|
Rhode Island Precipitation Records
- Driest location ranked by lowest annual average precipitation: Block Island, southern Rhode Island, 39.79"
- Wettest location ranked by highest annual average precipitation: North Foster, western Rhode Island, 53.17"
- Snowiest location ranked by highest annual average snowfall: North Foster, western Rhode Island, 55.5"
- State precipitation record for 24 hours - Westerly, southwestern Rhode Island, 12.13"
- State precipitation record for 1 year - Kingston, southern Rhode Island, 70.21
- State snowfall record for 24 hours - North Foster, western Rhode Island, 2/8-9/1945, 34.0"
- State snow record for 1 season - North Foster, western Rhode Island, 129.1"
- Historic flooding occurred in Rhode Island during March 2010. 16.32" of rain fell on Providence, which is the
most rain recorded in any month, beating the previous record of 15.38" set in October 2005. The Pawtuxet
River flooding exceeded all-time records, which date back to 1939
Data sources: National Climatic Data Center, Severe thunderstorm / tornado watch data period is 1999 - 2008, NOAA Storm Prediction Center, Tornado climate data - NOAA Storm Prediction Center, State lightning flash density average - 1997-2011, Vaisala