Virginia Annual Rainfall and Climate Data, see below for individual cities
Virginia city precipitation totals
Avg Annual Precip
Avg Snow Annual
|Avg. days of Precip||
Avg # thunderstorm days
|Avg # hail days||Avg # severe thunderstorm watches per year||Avg # tornado watches per year||# of tornadoes reported in county, 1960-2010|
Virginia Precipitation Records
- Driest location ranked by lowest annual precipitation: Timberville, northern Virginia, 35.18"
- Wettest location ranked by highest annual precipitation: Big Meadows, northern Virginia, 54.88"
- Snowiest location ranked by highest annual snowfall: Burkes Garden, western Virginia, 51.8"
- State precipitation record for 24 hours - Massies Mill, north-central Virginia, 8/20/1969, 27.35"
- State precipitation record for 1 year - Philpott Dam, southern Virginia, 1996, 83.70"
- State snowfall record for 24 hours - Luray, northern Virginia, 3/2-3/1994, 33.5"
- State snow record for 1 season - Wise, western Virginia, 1995-1996, 124.2"
- Hurricanes and tropical storms that cross Virginia, including immediately offshore, occur most frequently
in early August and September and rarely appear before June or after November. During the month of
September, 10 to 40 percent of Virginia’s rainfall comes from tropical systems or their remnants
- The majority of thunderstorms in Virginia occur during the summer months. The State averages only one
thunderstorm every ten years during January compared with nine thunderstorms each July
Data sources: National Climatic Data Center, Severe thunderstorm / tornado watch data period is 1999 - 2008, NOAA Storm Prediction Center, Tornado climate data - NOAA Storm Prediction Center, State lightning flash density average - 1997-2011, Vaisala