West Virginia Annual Rainfall and Climate Data, see below for individual cities
West Virginia city precipitation totals
Avg Annual Precip
Avg Annual Snow
|Avg # days of Precip||
Avg # thunderstorm days
|Avg # hail days||Avg # severe thunderstorm watches per year||Avg # tornado watches per year||# of tornadoes reported in county, 1960-2010|
West Virginia Precipitation Records
- Driest location ranked by lowest annual average precipitation: Moorefield, northeastern West Virginia, 32.88"
- Wettest location ranked by highest annual average precipitation: Pickens, northeastern West Virginia; 66.26"
- Snowiest location ranked by highest annual average snowfall: Terra Alta, northern West Virginia, 157.8"
- State precipitation record for 24 hours - Rockport, northwestern West Virginia, 7/18/1889, 19.00"
- State precipitation record for 1 year - Romney, northeastern West Virginia, 1948, 94.01"
- State snowfall record for 24 hours - Flat Top, southern West Virginia, 1/27-28/1998, 35.0"
- State snow record for 1 season - Krumbrabow State Forest, central West Virginia, 1959-1960, 301.4"
- West Virginia is one of the cloudiest states in the nation, with Beckley and Elkins in the Top 10, with 211 cloudy
days per year
Data sources: National Climatic Data Center, Severe thunderstorm / tornado watch data period is 1999 - 2008, NOAA Storm Prediction Center, Tornado climate data - NOAA Storm Prediction Center, State lightning flash density average - 1997-2011, Vaisala