Wisconsin Annual Rainfall and Climate Data, see below for individual cities
Wisconsin city precipitation totals
Avg Annual Precip
Avg Snow Annual
|Avg # days of Precip||
Avg # thunderstorm days
|Avg # hail days||Avg # severe thunderstorm watches per year||Avg # tornado watches per year||# of tornadoes reported in county, 1960-2010|
Wisconsin Precipitation Records
- Driest location ranked by lowest annual precipitation: Washington Island, eastern Wisconsin, 28.54"
- Wettest location ranked by highest annual precipitation: Lake Geneva, southeastern Wisconsin, 37.05"
- Snowiest location ranked by highest annual snowfall: Gurney, northern Wisconsin, 138.7"
- State precipitation record for 24 hours - Stoddard, southwestern Wisconsin, 8/18-19/2007, 11.75"
- State precipitation record for 1 year - Embarrass, central Wisconsin, 1884, 62.07"
- State snowfall record for 24 hours - Neillsville, central Wisconsin, 12/27/1904, 26.0"
- State snow record for 1 season - Hurley, northern Wisconsin, 1996-1997, 277.0"
- Average annual duration of snow cover ranges from 85 days in southernmost Wisconsin to more than 140
days along Lake Superior
- On January 30, 1996 Hurley, Wisconsin broke the state record with a measured snow depth of 60 inches (5 feet)
on the ground
- On January 4, 1982 Milwaukee, Wisconsin was shut down completely as a major storm buried the city under
16 inches of snow in 24 hours. It was the worst storm for the city in thirty-five years
- On January 3, 1921, the first radio broadcasts of weather forecasts began on this date as the University of Wisconsin
began using the new medium.
Data sources: National Climatic Data Center, Severe thunderstorm / tornado watch data period is 1999 - 2008, NOAA Storm Prediction Center, Tornado climate data - NOAA Storm Prediction Center, State lightning flash density average - 1997-2011, Vaisala